jueves, 20 de mayo de 2010

EAP student at Carlos III University of Madrid talks about her volunteering experience




My name is Vanita Mistry and I am now entering my fourth year at UC Berkeley.
In Spring 2010 I studied abroad at Carlos III University in Getafe and lived with a host family in Madrid. Studying abroad in Spain was an amazing experience because I was able to improve my Spanish, learn about the unique Spanish culture, and travel across Spain and Europe! When I arrived in Madrid, I looked for a volunteer opportunity because I wanted a way to get involved with the local community.
With the help of my EAP advisor, Rocio Navas, I was able to find an opportunity to volunteer at a local preschool really close to where I lived in Madrid. I volunteered at the preschool once a week for a couple of hours by helping a teacher in a class with children 3-4 years old. The main goal of my help was to speak English with the kids so that they were exposed to English and could begin to understand it at a young age. I would help with class activities, sing songs, and play with the kids! This was such a fun experience because I was able to learn about the education system in Madrid, teach English, improve my Spanish, and best of all, get to know a group of adorable Spanish toddlers!
Volunteering at this preschool made my experience studying abroad unique and really helped me get involved with the community in Madrid by interacting with kids, parents, and teachers! I really recommend any students interested in volunteering in Madrid to helpout at this preschool because it fit well with my school schedule and was a really great experience!

No hay comentarios: